Sony Announces Vaio S, a 13-inch Ultraportable for $899
Sony today announced an update to its Vaio S, a 13-inch ultraportable notebook that weighs just 4.4 pounds, and will start at $899. The new Vaio S will have a magnesium alloy case and feature Intel’s Calpella Core i3 and i5 processors.
As before, it will have a DVD drive, HDMI output, and stereo Bluetooth. Also like the Vaio S we reviewed in March of last year, this version will have Intel’s Wireless Display for streaming content from the notebook to a larger display. However, it should be noted that this version of WiDi only streams 720p content; only the newer Sandy Bridge systems support 1080p streaming.
A welcome addition for students is G-Sensor Shock Protection technology, which helps protect the system from sudden bumps and hits.
The notebook will be available for pre-order on Sonystyle.com and in select stores starting today.
- Processor: 2.53-GHz Intel Core i3-380M
- RAM/Expandable to: 4GB/8GB
- Hard drive size/speed: 500GB/5,400 rpm
- Display size/resolution: 13.3 inches/1366 x 768
- Optical drive: DVD Supermulti
- Graphics: Intel HD
- Ports: HDMI, VGA, two USB 2.0, Ethernet, headphone, mic
- Card slots: Memory Stick, SD, ExpressCard/34
- Wireless: Intel 802.11a/b/g/n, Intel Wireless Display, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Size: 13 x 9 x 1.1-1.2 inches
- Weight: 4.4 pounds