During this test we photographed our subject outdoors at night with the flash turned off to see which camera captures the most natural light.
1. Nokia Lumia 920: The Lumia 920 produces the brightest photos in dim environments than any other camera we’ve tested. The subject is clear and in focus and the exposure is perfect, although the color isn’t completely accurate. There’s still that blue tint over the image, but there’s no denying that this is the brightest image you’ll get without using a flash.
2. Apple iPhone 5: The color is great in this image, but the exposure is could be better. We can clearly see the colors on our subject’s shirt.
3. HTC One: There’s no doubt about it—the HTC One has the best exposure and the best color, but the image is out of focus. This would have been No. 1 if the image were sharper.
4. Sony Xperia ZL: The Sony Xperia ZL takes brighter photos than some of its competitors, but it still isn’t good enough to be the best. We can see detail in the subject’s face and clothing, such as the texture of his beard and the pattern on his shirt.
5. LG Optimus G Pro: The subject in this image looks fairly sharp. There’s a green filter over the Optimus G Pro’s photo, but it’s not as prominent as it is in the Blackberry Z10’s image.
6. BlackBerry Z10: There’s a slight green tone to this one, but it’s not a bad photo. We can fully see the subject’s face, although it still should be brighter.
7. Motorola Droid RAZR HD: This image is much darker than it should be, but we can see the subject’s face. We can make out his skin tone, his glasses and his beard; in worser images the subject seems to fade into the background.
8. Google Nexus 4: The Nexus 4’s photo here is on the dark side. You can see a little more detail in the subject’s shirt than in the S4, although facial features are difficult to decipher.
9. Samsung Galaxy S4: Without its flash or low-light mode, the Galaxy S4’s photos are tough to make out. We could barely see our subject’s face when taking photos outside on a dark street. There’s also a lot of noise in this image.