How to Use Semantic Zoom in Windows 8
With large databases of tiles like you find in the Windows Store or the Start screen, swiping or scrolling through all those blocks can be a hassle. Semantic zoom solves this problem by giving you a way see large sets of tiles quickly.
- Perform the pinch gesture on a touch screen or touch pad. Use CTRL + – or CTRL + scroll wheel with keyboard and mouse. The view will zoom out and present you with a birds-eye view of all the available tiles in the app. This allows you to easily scroll through different categories (ex: Social and Games in the Windows Store) with less swipes than you would’ve needed to perform in the zoomed-in view. While zoomed in, it took us five swipes to scroll through all the categories in the Windows Store. When zoomed out, it only took one swipe.
- Swipe horizontally to find your category of choice.
- Perform the stretch gesture on a category that interests you most. Doing so reveals information about tiles within each category, like each app’s star rating and price in the Windows Store.
- 10 Ways Windows 8 Beats the iPad
- Top 20 Windows 8 Apps
- 10 Best Windows 8 Hybrids: Tablet Meets Laptop