Sometimes it’s not enough to just mark mail as Spam. Google’s filters aren’t 100 percent effective and the occasional junk mail might slip through, finding its way to your inbox. And sometimes you just need to radically cut someone out of your life. You can block messages from particular senders for good by setting up your own filter with this simple guide.
1. Log into your Gmail account.
2. Pull up an email from the offending sender. If your inbox is flooded with messages, just search for that person’s name in the box at the top.
3. Hit the down arrow to the far right of the sender’s name.
4. Click “Filter messages like this” from the list that drops down.
5. Fill in the criteria for messages you’d like to stop receiving. To block all messages from this person, just enter his or her email address into the From field.
6. Click “Create filter with this search.”
7. Select Delete It to trash all mail that matches criteria in step 5.
8. Click Create Filter. If you want to remove all existing messages from that person, check the box next to the blue button that says, “Also apply filter to X matching conversations.”