Any brick-and-mortar store, bar, or restaurant can be a Place on Facebook. The Places feature lets Facebook users share where they are with and who is with them with friends. From a business perspective, every time someone checks in at your location, that’s free advertising.
28. Claim Your Business
If your business doesn’t show up in a search of Facebook, you’ll first need to create it as a Place:
- Visit the business’s physical location with your smartphone.
- Access Places within your Facebook app.
- Click Check In.
- Click Add.
- Name your business and add a brief description.
- Click Add > Check In.
If your business is discoverable through a search by business name on Facebook:
- Search for your business and click on it.
- Click the link to the left that says “Is this your business?”
- Add your name as the business owner.
- Fill in information about the business, including phone number and website.
- Facebook may contact you to verify your identity over the phone and may also ask for further documentation.
29. Post a Check-In Deal
Offering an incentive to customers can bring them in the door-and keep them coming back.
- From your Place, select Deals from your administration panel on the right.
- Select the type of deal you want to offer: Individual (simple discounts for checking in), Friend (rewards for group check-ins), Loyalty (gifts for a number of check-ins), or Charity (a pledge that you will donate a specified amount when someone checks in).
- Define your offer in clear and simple language. You have 50 characters to descibe what the discount, reward, or gift might be. You also have 100 characters to explain how to claim your deal. The more appealing the deal, the more people it will bring in the door.
- Specify when the deal will start (create it 48 hours ahead of time, at least) and when it will end (a week minimum is recommended).
- Set how many people can redeem the deal before it is stopped, and whether someone can claim the same deal each day or just once a year.
- Click Save. Once your deal is approved (within 48 hours), you can promote it through a status update or a Facebook ad.
- Inform your employees. Tell them how the deal can be redeemed and how long it will be running. Be sure to set up a system to record the number of redemptions.
Become a Facebook Master