Amazon Coins are a digital currency for use with Kindle Fire tablets of all generations. Like an iTunes gift card or Microsoft Points, Amazon Coins are purchased with real currency for use within the Amazon App Store. They can be used to purchase apps for your Kindle Fire HDX or to make in-app purchases. Amazon Coins are valued at 100 coins per $1, making conversion rates easy enough to calculate. Plus, Coins can be purchased anywhere you can access your Amazon account — currently, in fact, at a discounted rate of up to 10 percent.
If you have a Kindle Fire (2nd Generation and afterward) you can purchase these coins on your tablet. Here’s how.
1. Tap Apps on your home screen, and in the upper right hand corner tap Store.
2. Tap the three horizontal lines on the upper left corner to bring up your menu and tap Amazon Coins near the bottom.
3. Tap Buy More Coins under Shop.
4. You will be given five choices of denomination ranging from 500 to 10,000 Coins. Choose one and tap the buy button. Now these coins are in your account.
5. Tap on the app you wish to purchase. In the upper right hand corner there will be a yellow button to purchase. If you have coins on your account the button will display the price in real currency and Amazon coins, in this case $.99 or 99 Coins.
6. Tap the button and it will bring up a second menu that gives you the option to use Amazon Coins or dollars. Once you select Amazon Coins, tap “Get App” and it will download to your Kindle Fire. One important thing to note about Amazon Coins is that they can only be used to make whole purchases, not portions. So if you only have 30 Coins left and the app costs 99 Coins, the transaction will not go through.